HAYWARD – Assemblymember Quirk (D-Hayward) celebrated National Small Business Week with his fourth annual Small Business Event at Buffalo Bill’s restaurant in Hayward. According to Assemblymember Quirk, “Small businesses are truly the backbone of the state’s economy. California’s small businesses employ half of the state’s private workforce. I am proud to see small businesses thriving in the 20th Assembly District.”
In partnership with his local Chambers, each selected a Small Business to be honored. Assemblymember Quirk presented the following businesses with certificates of recognition and stated, “These are exemplary small businesses. They participate in local chamber activities, they volunteer in the community, and they strengthen our local economy.” The participating honorees were:
- Pete’s Hardware, honored by Ashley Strasburg, CEO of the Castro Valley/Eden Area Chamber. Linda Roark and her husband are the third generation running Castro Valley’s oldest business.
- Buffalo Bill’s, honored by the Assemblymember as his small business of the year, is owned by Geoff Harries who started there as a brew master in 1987. Buffalo Bill’s is being included in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History as one of the first brew pubs in America.
- Bell Plastics, honored by Kim Hugget, Executive Director of the Hayward Chamber. Bruce Kennedy joined the celebration and was honored for being in business as the go to shop for plastics and metal fabrication since 1979.
- Emerald Packaging, honored by Rey Sison, Executive Director of the Union City Chamber. Emerald Packaging holds the distinction of being the first company to introduce compostable packaging on the West Coast.
- Harrison Accounting Group, Inc., honored by Cindy Bonior, Executive Director of the Fremont Chamber. Harrison Accounting, led by Bill Harrison, serves a broad range of business activities and has been in business in Fremont since 1954.
Buffalo Bill’s, who has been selected as his District 20 Small Business of the Year, and its owner, Mr. Geoff Harries, will join the Assemblymember for a ceremony and luncheon on June 19 at the State Capitol in Sacramento.