Afghan Refugee Resources
Table of Contents
Please direct all evacuation-related inquiries to the appropriate federal agency, your Senators and Congressional representatives. To find who your member of Congress is, please visit the United States House of Representatives Find Your Representative page.
Assembly District 20 Members of Congress:
Congressman Eric Swalwell
Afghan Assistance Page
Congressman Ro Khanna
Help with a Federal Agency
Congresswoman Barbara Lee
Help with a Federal Agency
U.S. Department of State
Afghanistan Inquiries Resources
For individuals who have been resettled in CA, the CA Department of Social Services can assist and support. You can find information regarding that support on the Afghan Arrival Response page.
Information regarding the Refugee Programs Bureau (RPB).
Information regarding the California Health and Human Services (CHHS) Agency Resettlement Resources.
Individuals who have resettled in California may qualify for public benefits. Those who have live in Alameda County can apply for the benefits that are administered through the Alameda County Social Services Agency.
- The Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program provides up to eight months of cash assistance for refugees who are either single adults or couples without dependent children. Eligible individuals may receive RCA, Medi-Cal and CalFresh during the first 8 months in the United States.
- Refugee Supportive Services provide employment services, Vocational English as a Second Language (VESL) classes and help with social adjustment.
The Afghan Coalition provides many services that are available to the public including: Cultural Counseling, assistance with Social Services, job-hunting, and translation. They can be reached via phone at (510)-745-1680 or email email@example.com.
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center is offering support for incoming refugees and the Afghan community. For more information, please call 510.471.5907.
How you can help
The following groups are accepting additional assistance for refugees that are expected to arrive the in the Bay Area.
- The City of Fremont’s Human Services Department is providing direct assistance to Afghan refugees who are arriving to the Tri-City area from Afghanistan. For more information, please visit the City of Fremont Afghan Refugee Help page.
- The Afghan Coalition is a community-based organization in the East Bay that provides support and services to local Afghan community members. Please visit https://www.afghancoalition.org/.
- The Jewish Family & Community Services of the East Bay are providing comprehensive support for when refugees arrive to the Bay Area. You can find out more about their efforts on their Urgent Afghan Evacuation page or sign up to volunteer.